Thursday, May 18

“In Balance/Imbalance” : Maine Arts Journal : Summer 2023

“Delicate Balance 2023” 
© Mary Becker Weiss
Dye sublimation print 24”x18”

“Though my intentions have remained constant, my work has dramatically evolved through the years. When I first started simple non-objective drawings in 2010, I was determined to create something that no one had seen before. I was motivated by Robert Mapplethorpe’s, “I'm looking for the unexpected. I'm looking for things I've never seen before.” Hah! I do admit that some of my early yawps are still floating around out there…!

It took me a while to get there, but the unpredictability of the outcome, particularly with my abstracts, is one of the most exciting aspects of what I do. I grew up in the military where everything was clearly defined and delineated. Everything was black or white. No gray. No play. No creativity or “interpretation.”

It took me years to unlearn that rigid structure, to let go of the reins in my artwork and in my life. As I relinquished my obsession for precision, balance and control, surprises came my way. At first, it was frightening to let go, but now I have learned to embrace the unexpected and its perfect imbalance, exhilarating imperfection!” ~ Mary Becker Weiss

“In Balance/Imbalance”
and UMVA Members Exhibition 
Portland Media Center
Portland ME
Summer 2023
Early Works
“Voice of the Turtle” 
and “Queen of Everything”
 © Mary Becker Weiss 

No comments:

Post a Comment